Install Redmi S2, Y2 MIUI 12.0 Firmware Update [China Stable, Download inside]
Xiaomi is making an effort to try to push the MIUI 12 update for all of its smart devices while we talk. And if you do not know, there are already a good number of Xiaomi or Redmi phones that have already received the latest system update, and recent reports indicated that the Chinese company has already started sending the update to the second and final batch, which will end by September 2020. Today, Xiaomi has added an additional phone to its list of phones that got MIUI 12, which is Redmi S2 (the same is the Redmi Y2 phone but in the Chinese market).
Redmi S2 (MIUI 12 update)
Xiaomi announced the Redmi S2 more than two years ago in May 2018, and it came with Android 8.1 out of the box. Since that time, the phone has only received one major system update, which is Android 9.0 update, which came alongside Xiaomi’s custom MIUI 11.
Redmi S2 phone was on official company list that is expected to officially receive the MIUI 12 update in the third installment in the second group. And it was, Xiaomi believed in its promise and today began launching the new official update for Redmi S2 users, starting from China, and soon in all countries of the world.
New update, but still Android 9
MIUI 12 update for Redmi S2 is still next to the Android Pie OS and not Android 10 as you would expect, which is a regular thing from Xiaomi and even most other companies at the moment for mid-range devices that usually receive one major system update. The new update has been sent out to phone users in China only so far and it came with version number V220.127.116.11.PEFCNXM. And for those people who received a notification of a new OTA update, then the size of the update is 837MB.
Download MIUI 12 update for Redmi S2
While we only have the screenshots of the Chinese releases, the official changelog looks no different from the same update for other phones. As mentioned above, this is an official update, yes, but it is directed at the Chinese user. Yes, you can install it on your phone, but be aware that you will not find any of the usual Google services installed on it. Later, you can perform the steps to download Google Play for Chinese Xiaomi phones , but it was something worth noting, of course.
|Security correction||July 1, 2020|
|Release Date||Thursday 6 August 2020|
So, do you still want to try the new update before it officially arrives in your region? Then download the official update file from the attached link below, then follow the installation steps carefully.
Install MIUI 12 update (from within settings)
You can go to the explanation of installing stock ROM on a Xiaomi devices there you will find detailed steps accurately on several different ways to install the new update, or you can simply follow the steps mentioned below.
- Download the update file from the link provided above, then transfer the official update file to the internal phone memory as mentioned above.
- Head over to the Settings app > About phone > System updates. Now by pressing the three points above list select the phrase “choose the update package“.
- In case you did not see this option, simply click on the MIUI logo for 10 consecutive clicks, then after that the option will appear.
- Or, you can just skip the last step by launching the Updater app which you will find within the system applications on your phone.
- From here, go to the update file that you moved to the internal memory in the first step, then the system will directly (Decrypt) the update file and install it automatically.