Nokia has recently launched the official Android 9.0 Pie update for Nokia 7.1 via OTA updates. Of course, we already know that Nokia is among the fastest growing manufacturers in terms of official system updates compared to most other companies. In addition, HMD recently announced that all upcoming Nokia phones will be part of the Google Android One initiative, which will help make key updates even faster than they are currently. Nokia has already launched the Android 9.0 update for several phones including Nokia 7, Nokia 6, 6.1 and Nokia 7 Plus.
As much as you want to update the Pie 9.0 for your Nokia 7.1 – the update is probably the same as what you’ll find with Google Pixel devices. Therefore, you can expect that all things that distinguish Pixel phones will be found on the Nokia phone 7.1 for the operating system of course. If you’re not following up, Android Pie is the latest version from Google and comes with Android 9.0, which was announced at Google I/O 2018 last August. More recently in the same month Google launched the Pie 9.0 update for Google Pixel, Nexus devices. The new update also comes with some key features including: Slices, Adaptive Battery according to your usage, App Actions as well as Digital Wellbeing.
- Your device has been updated to Android 9.0.0 Pie
- The security patch was also upgraded to 1 November 2018
You may already know that your device will not receive a pie update immediately once it is released from the company because it will be issued periodically for each geographic region and not for everyone at a time, so it may take days or even weeks to reach you. Therefore, you will now have to wait officially for your phone via the usual OTA updates. But in fact you are not really forced to do so now that you can download the official update from the bottom and install it manually on Nokia 7.1 through some simple steps.
XDA Member yshalsager is somehow managed to get the official Android Pie update by extracting its official download link. The manual update process is as simple as you will need to download and then browse the OTA file using the bootloader mode and then enjoy the taste of the latest Android Pie. Below you’ll find a step-by-step explanation of how to do this even if you are unfamiliar with these steps and have not implemented them before.
- Since the official update is almost no risk, we always strongly advise in similar cases to make a backup copy of your Android phone in the event of anything wrong, so that you can retrieve all the contents of your device again.
- Another important step is to have a Windows device with ADB/Fastboot tools installed on it (use the ADB Minimal version ).
- You will also need to download and install Nokia 7.1 USB drivers.
- Finally, Ensure that your Nokia 7.1 has a battery percentage of more than 50% to keep your device running through the entire installation
Download Android Pie update for Nokia 7.1
Steps to install Android 9.0 Pie update on your Nokia 7.1
- Download the OTA.zip file from the links listed above. Then rename the update file to rom.zip and place it in the ADB Tools folder in the system partition on your computer, to facilitate the next installation steps.
- At this point, connect your Android device to your computer using USB cable.
- Now in the ADB Tools folder on your computer, Run the ADB command interface by typing CMD in Address bar box at the top.
- Now you have to make sure your phone is connected to your computer by typing the following command:
The previous command must be in the form of a serial number for a Nokia 7.1 device. If something different comes up, you may need to make sure that USB drivers are installed correctly or even reinstall it again.
- If everything is correct, now type the following command to reboot your device into recovery mode:
adb reboot recovery
Once you type the previous line you will notice that the No Command statement appears on the phone screen. Once you see them, press the Power + Volume Up buttons once to enter the recovery mode.
- Now in recovery mode and using the voice control buttons select “Apply update from ADB” and press Power button to select it.
- Now go back to the ADB command line interface on your computer again, type the following command to start installing Android Pie:
adb sideload rom.zip
The previous command line may be different depending on the name of the current update file, so I mentioned changing its name to rom.zip in the first step to facilitate this.
- Now press Enter button to start installing process.
- Once the official software installation is complete, reboot your device into system again via the recovery options.
And we are done! Once you reboot your Nokia 7.1 back into system you will notice that the Android Pie update on Nokia 7.1 successfully installed and you can confirm this by going to Settings> About Phone> Software Information.