Apple finally officially revealed the most awaited operating system, which had the most leaks this year, iOS 16 at the WWDC Developer Conference that the American company started two days ago. At this event, some interesting things were announced like the upcoming iPhone OS, iPadOS 16 for iPad, macOS 13 Mac, watchOS 9 as well as tvOS 16 for smartwatches and Apple TVs.
But if you’ve been watching the online event like millions of other tech geeks, then you’ll know that the two most awaited platforms at this conference were iOS 16 for iPhone and iPadOS 16 for iPad. And if you happen to be interested in such matters and want to try out the upcoming operating system from Apple on your smart device now, then follow the download and installation steps mentioned in detail below!
iOS 16 & iPadOS 16 Update
As soon as Apple finished announcing the new operating systems for its smart devices at the conference, beta developer programs were made available for both of them, knowing that this beta version is intended for developers only and not that public version available to try for all people, this version however will be available to download at some point during Next July 2022.
Personally, I expect that all iPhone users have been eagerly waiting for the iOS 16 update for a long time, especially with the huge amount of leaks and rumors about the new system for several months now. The upcoming iPhone OS 16 update came with a lot of new features, which included several highly anticipated things, such as the ability to completely customize the lock screen with the ability to put a widgets and add notifications and change the shape and colors of fonts. Now, all of these things in the all-new iOS 16 are available to try as a beta version for developers, and you can try in several ways to discover them on your iPhone.
So, below we will talk in detail about how to download iOS 16 beta update for developers, as well as download the new iPadOS 16 update for iPad also with an explanation of installation on eligible devices for the new OS.
What iPhones are eligible for iOS 16?
As soon as the official announcement of the upcoming iOS 16 ended, Apple also shared a list of eligible phones that will receive the stable version of it at the beginning of the next 2023, and this list came as shocking to some, unfortunately, because the iOS 16 abandoned five phones including the iPhone 7 and also the iPhone 7 Plus.
So, if you are a user of an old iPhone, unfortunately, you will not be able to try the system, and we strongly advise that you buy an iPhone Xs at least if you are about to buy a new iPhone to try iOS 16. As for the list of phones that support the installation of the update, they are as follows:
- iPhone 14 series (not announced yet)
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 10 (XS)
- iPhone 10 Max (XS Max)
- iPhone Xr
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone SE (2nd generation)
- iPhone SE (3rd generation)
iPhones that are not supported to install iOS 16
- iPhone SE (1st generation)
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
iPadOS 16 eligible devices
- iPad (5th generation or later)
- iPad mini (5th generation or later)
- iPad Air (3rd generation or later)
- iPad Pro (all versions)
Download iOS 16 Beta Update (Developer Version)
As we mentioned, iOS 16 has now been available for download and installation by developers for several weeks, and then it will be available for download as a public beta version for all users. So, if you happen to have an Apple developer account, then you can get the developer beta and install it yourself on your phone.
To manually check whether there is a new beta update, then go to Settings > System updates. And in case you get a notification of a new update, then click on the Download & Install button to get it.
But if you happen to be a regular user of your phone and don’t have an Apple developer account (which is $100 a year if you don’t know), then you won’t get any automatic updates on your current phone, and you’ll have to download the beta OS manually and then install it yourself using your computer after you must first obtain a beta profile. And if you have followed the tutorial on how to install a developer account file on your iPhone, then you will get all the developer version updates “automatically” as if you had an Apple approved developer account.
Download iOS, iPadOS 16 Developer Beta (with developer account)
- Go to the official Apple Beta Software page on your iPhone or iPad.
- Click on the three-line menu at the top (left corner) and select Discover > iOS.
- After that click on the download button which you will find in the right corner.
- Now you will need to sign in with your developer account.
- On the next page, find the correct operating system from the list and press Install Profile > Allow.
Install iOS/iPadOS 16 “Beta Profile”
- After the last step, go to Settings on your iPhone or iPad.
- Above you will see ‘More for Your iPhone’ – click on it, or go to the following path:
- Go to General > VPN & Device Management > Downloaded Profile.
- From here, choose the profile for the iOS 16 beta update.
- On the next screen click on Install and then follow the instructions.
- Once you have installed the iOS 16 profile, restart your device.
Download and install iOS/iPadOS 16 “beta” update
Now that you have downloaded and installed the iOS 16 Beta Profile file on your iPhone or iPad, you can finally download the beta update to your smart device and start installing it. In the following steps, you can learn how to download iOS 16 Beta 1 or iPadOS 16 Beta 1 and then the installation steps:
- Open Settings.
- Now go to General > Software Update.
- Here you will see that there is a new update available whether it is iOS 16 for iPhone or iPadOS 16 for iPad.
- From here, click on the Download and Install button below.
- Your device will automatically restart once it has finished installing.
- Now have fun, and explore the all-new iOS 16 or iPadOS 16 on your device.
install iOS, iPadOS 16 beta (without developer account)
In fact, there are two ways you can install the upcoming iOS or iPadOS update. One of them is perhaps the easiest because with it you will not need a computer and all you will need here is your iPhone or iPad only, which is by downloading a file called iOS 16 Beta Profile (for iPhone) and the other called iPadOS 16 Beta Profile and this is for the iPad.
Download iOS, iPadOS 16 Beta Profile
So, what is a beta profile?! Simply it is a file that has some information that you will install on the iPhone (developer account information), which will then allow you to download and install the new beta OS automatically on the phone without your intervention without you needing to enter the developer account data. To do this, follow these instructions carefully:
- On your iPhone, launch Safari browser.
- Go to one of the following addresses: iOS_16_Beta (for iPhone) or iPadOS_16_Beta (for iPad).
- After downloading, now go to Settings > Profile section and install the new account.
- Agree to the message that will appear to you (Developer account data mode), press the Allow button.
- After installing the new account, go to General > Software Update.
- Now wait for your iPhone or iPad to connect to the Apple servers.
- Remember that you will need a fast and stable internet connection.
- At this point you should see a message “ iOS 16 Developer beta” is available for download.
- From here, click on the Download and Install button to start the iOS 16 Beta Developer Edition installation process.
Now all you have to do is sit back, relax, and wait for this magical automatic process to take place because the phone now treats you like a developer, and you got your beta update normally just like any other official system update. Again, you should know that this version is still beta 1, so expect to encounter several errors.
In the end, this was our lesson today on how to download iOS 16 & iPadOS 16 beta versions and explain installing them on iPhone or iPad with detailed and simple steps if you are doing it for the first time. You can also download the first beta version of the upcoming Apple operating system by downloading the IPSW file, which will also be available inside your developer account when you join the beta program as we explained above, but with that, to follow the method of installing IPSW files, you will need the Finder tool on the Mac, and there is no way unfortunately for Windows.
Did you follow the previous steps and were able to download and install the iOS 16 beta update on your iPhone? How is your experience and what do you think of the new Apple updates in the system? Let us know your opinion in the comments below.