Android Pie update for Moto X4 has finally been released! Phone users who have been waiting for the update for a long time can now download and install it manually on the phone. Android 9 update for the Moto X4 is only suitable for versions XT1900-4, XT1900-5, XT1900-6, and XT1900-7.
Motorola’s Moto X4, which was acquired by Lenovo, was launched in November 2017 last year. Moto X4 in the Mid-range phones has a 5.2-inch Full HD screen beside the Snapdragon 630 chip under the hood. The phone also has 4 GB RAM and 64GB of storage, which can be expanded up to 200GB using a separate MicroSD card slot. The phone is still being supported since it was launched less than two years ago and makes sense to get the Motorola Android Pie update . However, it is not clear when Motorola will launch this update for the phone as it has not been officially released yet. Until then, XDA member CypherPotato had found a way to install the official software for Android 9.0 on the Moto X4.
This tutorial is not for noobs, so do not try the steps in this lesson unless you know exactly what to doing!
Android 9.0.0 update for the Moto X4
Android Pie update is the biggest update of Android system since the release of Lollipop. The system has completely changed how the user interacts with the phone as well as several revolutionary additions under the cover as well as some visual changes.
The attached update is a download links below not specifically from Motorola, and has not yet been officially launched. Therefore, we can never guarantee that your phone will work after you perform these steps. Despite this warning, Pie 9.0 firmware below was installed and tested on Motorola X4 devices with version number XT1900-4, XT1900-5, XT1900-6 and XT1900-7. You should also know that the “Update Not Working” has been confirmed on version XT1900-2 – so do not ever try to test the update on it. Even if you have performed all of the steps listed here, there is a simple possibility that something wrong is likely to happen. So, make sure you understand what you’re doing, and that you’re doing it at your own risk.
- First you will need one of the Moto X4 devices – of course, and it must have a Locked bootloader.
- You should also make sure that your current system version number is less than the Android Pie version number attached below. You will find the current version of Android 9.0.0 in the name of the software you are downloading. For example:
- You must provide an external SD memory card with a minimum capacity of 2 GB.
- You will also need to download and install the ADB / Fastboot tools.
- Also download the USB drivers for Motorola’s Android devices.
- Make sure that the phone battery contains at least 80% of the remaining power, to avoid any phone closures during the installation steps.
Download the Android Pie update for the Moto X4 phone
- Android Oreo firmware: Android 8.0.0 (for devices that have not received Android 8.1 update yet).
- Android Oreo firmware: Android 8.1.0 (for devices not sold by Motorola, such as Android One devices or those sold by Amazon, you’ll need to be first on Motorola’s official version). To install Oreo on your phone, you may need to first go to the lesson: Android Oreo for Moto X4.
- Android Pie firmware: Android 9.0.0 (for devices running Android 8.0).
Android Pie firmware: Android 9.0.0 (for devices running Android 8.1.0).
Note: Once you have downloaded the appropriate version of Pie 9.0 for your phone, transfer it to the external MicoSD memory.
Steps to Install Android 9.0 Pie update on Moto X4
- With everything ready, download an appropriate version of Android 9.0 with the links above, depending on the current system version on your phone.
- Transfer the software you have downloaded to the external SD memory.
- Now completely close your Moto X4, and then reboot it into Bootloader mode by pressing the Volume Down + Power buttons simultaneously at the same time for a few seconds. You will notice the appearance of the bootloader screen such as the following image:
- Using the volume control buttons highlight Recovery option and press the Power button to select it. When the Android logo appears again, press the Volume Up + Power buttons for 3 seconds, and the phone should enter to recovery mode.
- In recovery mode, again use the volume buttons to highlight Apply update from SD card optio.
- Then, choose the Android Pie update zip in the same way using the volume buttons as well as the Power button.
- You’ll notice that the update has started to install. Installing Android Pie software on your Moto X4 can take up to an hour. So, sit down and wait.
Once the installation is complete, restart the phone and find that it has been taken off within the new Android 9.0 Pie system. To avoid any errors after installing the new firmware, we strongly recommend that you perform the factory reset. You can do this by going to Settings> System> Advanced> Reset options and select Factory reset the device. When your phone reboots again, it’s also recommended that you update all pre-installed apps with the ROM next to the Google Play Store and then reboot once again. If you encounter a Bootloop problem, you will need to press the Power button for 15 seconds to perform a Soft Reset .
Once you’ve completed all the steps to install Android Pie on your Moto X4 and everything is done, go to your phone’s settings, then About phone, then make sure you’re running latest Android version.