Sony Xperia 1 & 5 users are now receiving, while we are talking, the official Android 11 update, in its stable form, after a lot of test and experimental versions for a long time. In the past 2020, the Japanese company announced Sony devices that are eligible for the Android 11 update. Then, at the end of the same year in December, the company launched the official update for the Xperia 1 II. And now, the company has started focusing on its 2019’s flagship devices, we are talking here about the Android 11 for the Xperia 5 and also the Xperia 1.
The strange thing is that the Android 11 update for the Xperia 1 and also Xperia 5 was already available for a while, but for specific regions such as Russia, for example, but today the company has started sending it to many other regions around the world, and it is assumed that you will receive a new notification on your phone soon. If you do not want to wait for a longer time, then we have a method by which you can download the official update and install it yourself.
Sony Xperia 1 & 5 (Android 11 update)
According to some users, the latest Android update for Sony Xperia 1 or Xperia 5 has started to reach some of them in several regions around the world. The new update came in size approximately 1GB, and it came with version number 55.2.A.0.630. The strange thing, though, is that the system, although it has arrived to users a few days ago, has come with an old security update of December 2020! However, Sony may be sending the new security patch in a separate update.
How to update Sony Xperia 1 to Android 11?
In order to download the Android 11 update for your phone from Sony, whether it is Xperia 1 or Xperia 5, just follow the following instructions in order:
- Go to “Settings“
- Go to the bottom to find the “System” option.
- Now go to “Advanced“.
- In Advanced section, scroll down to the “Software Update” option.
- Again, select “System“. Then from the three dots menu above, click on “Refresh” option.
- Now you will notice that there is a new update for the phone with version number “55.2.A.0.630“.
If, after performing these steps, you did not find that there is a new update available for the phone, then the company may not have sent it to your region yet. So, now you can go to the second manual method for updating the phone, which will be by downloading the official ROM with XperiFirm Tool, then follow the same steps in the explanation to learn how to install it yourself using Sony Flash Tool.
Install Android 11 on Sony Xperia devices
Now that you have the appropriate new official update for your phone version, at this point here are the steps to install an official ROM on your Sony phone, which will be via the Sony Flash Tool.
Download Sony Flash Tool
- After downloading the Sony Flash Tool from the previous link, launch it and then head to Tools> Bundles> Create .
- Select the folder you downloaded the official ROM into in the Source Folder option.
- Double click in the Device field and choose the version of your phone.
- In the Branding field , write any name for the official system.
- Also type the version number in the Version field .
- On our part, we always recommend using the name and the original version number of the official ROM, so that it is easy for you to identify it even if you forget its location.
- Select all the files you see in the left column, and then press the Right Arrow button to move all those files into the right column. To quickly select all files, choose the first file, then hold shift button, then press the “head down” button on the keyboard until you finish selecting all of the files.
- After you have selected all of the files, click the Create button.
- This process will take some time. What specifically happens in this process is that the Flash Tool creates a compatible FTF file from the official ROM, making it flashable using the same tool.
- Once the FTF file is finished creating, head over to C: users <yourusername> .flashtoolfirmwares and make sure the FTF file is in this directory , this is where it normalizes.
Flash the official ROM using Sony FlashTool
- Now to flash the FTF file on your phone, click on the flash icon in Flash tool.
- In the window that appears after that choose Flashmode and then click OK.
- Now click on Flash.
- The process of preparing files for flashing will likely take some time. Sometimes it’s more than three minutes. But once the preparation is over, the tool will ask you to connect your phone using the USB cable.
- You will first need to connect the phone in Flashmode mode. So turn it off completely, then press and hold the Volume Down button while you connect the phone with the USB cable.
- Once the phone is properly connected, you will notice that the official ROM flashing process will start directly. Therefore, you must make sure that the connection is stable. Sometimes in the event that the FTF file is invalid or it is missing some files, you will find that the flashing process has ended in failure.
- The time to install the official ROM may be long, depending on the size of the ROM and the version of the phone, the speed of the cable, in addition to the location of the USB port.
Once the flashing is finished, you will see an end message inside Sony FlashTool asking you to disconnect the phone from the USB cable and turn it on. Now your phone is ready to boot into the new system as usual. The first boot has always been the longest, so wait for your phone to boot up again and then change the phone’s settings to your liking.